Sunday, December 18, 2011

The best (and English speaking!) physiotherapist in Barcelona

It's funny how many of my posts have the word "best" in the title, isn't it? I must be a very lucky girl to have had the chance to get to know the very best sides of this wonderful city ;-)

Okay, no kidding. As I wrote in one of my previous posts, breaking a bone is not one of the most enjoyable experiences one can have here. It's been now 4,5 months after the operation and considering my excellent recuperation process I think it's time to reveal the secret behind it all: Googol Medical centre and my physiotherapist Wilco Grift (applause)!

The entrance

As I have always been keen on doing all sorts of sports I really wanted my humerus to recover as well as possible. Having heard some stories about traditional Spanish physiotherapists who think the ideal solution for any injury is to stab your skin full of kind of electronic implants, add some vibration and "voilá, an hour a day should cure everything" methodology, I wasn't very convinced of any the places my hospital suggested and decided to do some research on my own.

Now, if you google "physiotherapists in barcelona" the number of results alone makes you depressed. Therefore, I decided to opt for solution which applies to all aspects of life here: networking and word of mouth. By recommendation, I got in touch with Wilco and his team who were able to start the treatment immediately. During the first months I visited them twice a week, 45 minutes sessions, in addition to doing prescribed exercises at home. After the start I went once a week, then every second week. My last appointment is on the coming Tuesday.


The waiting room
The sessions consisted of rubbing, mashing, tweaking and stretching the arm to make the blood circulation work again. This part was done roughly and hurt like hell every time. Also some back cracking was included. After few weeks or so, we started practicing the coordination and waking up the damaged muscles with passive exercises, meaning "helping" the broken arm to reach different positions. Step by step we moved on towards more active movements and after receiving the permission from my doctor, I was allowed to start putting a little weight on the arm and train with small dumbbells.

The hospital estimated a full recuperation time of 4-5 months. I started going to Bodypump classes already after 2.5 months and during my third control at the hospital (approximately at the same time) they presented me as a tiny miracle for the head of surgeons.

I've never broken anything before, but I seriously think none of this would have ever been possible without Wilco. I warmly recommend him to all the patients in a need of top physiotherapist. He's specialized in rehabilitation and because of his extensive background in the sports industry, he certainly knows what it takes to get your parts back on track. Heck, I found out that he even treated the super famous Finnish footballer Jari Litmanen!

Just keep in mind that the treatment has absolutely nothing to do with soft massaging or relaxation. Every tear and sweat drop I poured out in their centre was because of pure pain but I knew it was good for me. I appreciated his work and wanted to do my best to collaborate. If you are 100% motivated, ready to give it everything, able to cope with some pain and want to receive the best possible care, contact him. I assure you couldn't be in better hands (literally!).

Wilco Grift, Physiotherapist
wilcogrift@hotmail.com
+34 647 441180
(Dutch, English and Spanish)


Googol Medical Centre
Gran Via Carles III 37-39
08028 Barcelona
Metro: Les Corts (green)

No comments:

Post a Comment