Sunday, July 3, 2011

My favorite places in Barcelona pt.1: The Montjüic pool


I have had a hundred potential blog post topics in my head now for about a week. I have been fantasizing about this moment when we finally open the blog and I can just let my fingers fly on the keyboard. Now, when the moment is at hand, I don't not know what to write about!

Everyone who has visited Barcelona knows that there is never enough time to see everything. There are simply too many cool things around. I still discover new wonderful places every week! That's why, I thought it would be actually cool to share some of my all time favorite places here.

As the past week has been melting hot, I was really waiting for the weekend and total relaxation by the sea or a pool. In my opinion, one of the most wonderful places to sunbathe and chill is the Olympic outdoor pool up in Montjuic. It offers outstanding panoramic views over the city, and it's never too full. For some reason, most of the crowd heads to the packed beaches instead and ignores this amazing, unique oasis. It's far from being fancy or elegant, and has maybe seen its best days, but it sure has got a very special charm which makes me return over and over again.

The pool is open from June till September and costs 5-6 euros to enter. They don't offer any chairs for sunbathing, so bring a towel to lie on. In case of empty stomach, there's a small cafe on the spot where they sell tapas and drinks. The dressing rooms are equipped with showers, but there are no lockers so you need to take all the stuff to the pool area.

The easiest way to arrive is to take the green metro line to Paral-lel and continue with funicular up to the hill. When you come out from the funicular, cross the street and walk 15 meters to the right - and voilá, there you are!

BTW: Also Kylie Minogue is a fan of this pool; it offered a fantastic setting for her video "Slow" in 2003:

No comments:

Post a Comment